Over the years in truck I got into listening to podcasts. First a few a week and then depending on the day sometimes listening to podcasts 6-7 hours a day. I have probably listen to a few 1000 hours of podcasts by now. During some of those podcast something would be said that would make me go – huh? or huh! And I would make note of it. Before long my list of better questions or reflections started filling up pages and pages. And some of it was pretty profound stuff if I do say so myself.
Mostly what I wrote down pertained to day to day life, there is some business stuff (which is kind of the same thing) and of course a little bit of spiritual sprinkled in. Over the years I also collected a bunch of quotes from some of my favourite movies; so I added a few of those in my collection of wisdom.
If we ask better questions we generally make better decisions. The same happens if we consider such wise words of wisdom from someone who may have a little bit of experience under their belt. Anyways, I plan to post a list every few weeks or so. Like I said I got pages and pages of these nuggets of wisdom.
As a side note; some of these are quotes and at the time of listening I never wrote down the author. But they are pretty good without the authors name. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of these become blog posts of their own someday.
Some of my favorite podcasters are Big Questions, Buckit, Exponential Wisdom, Masters of Scale, The Pitch, The Side Hustle, Tim Ferriss, Ransomed Heart and Start Up.
- Your life is the fruit of your own doing. You have no one to blame but yourself – Joseph Campbell
- It’s character of strength that God gives the most challenges to.
- If I started $100 million business today, what would it look like?
- The biggest battle is not to lose heart – A Story Worth Living (movie)
- Journal about your day 10 years into the future. From the second you wake up to the second you go to sleep that night. Journal about everything in your day. Including your furniture and your pets.
- No plan survives at the moment of contact with the enemy.
- Live with courage in all things especially when everyone else is wrong.
- We are part of the most mythic trajectory into the universe.
- You know you are living a small story if you are the main character – A Story Worth Living (movie)
- I now know what I need to do now.
- Above all else guard your heart – Proverbs 4:23
- To what end? Will this action/addiction actually fill the void in my heart?
- To do great we must be able to endure tragedy and setbacks.
- Ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution is what counts.
- Is that a dream or a goal?
- If there is a short cut it is mentorship.
- Things happen for a reason. Bull shit, not always – Arie Hoogerbrugge
- God uses our sorrows and pain for good.
- The call to adventure signifies that destiny has summoned the hero – Joseph Campbell
- The trials that face lead us to our purpose – 5 Days of War
- Pursue excellence in all things or just go back to sleep.
- If you want money ask for advice.
- If anything can go wrong, fix it (to hell with Murphy’s Law!)
- The standard pace is for chumps.
- You are whoever you pretend to be.
- Stop complaining and start solving problems.
- When you have considered all your options, remember that you haven’t.
- The obstacle is the way.
- I think of you even when I am with you – Duplicity
- The journey, not the arrival is important
- Never Make the same mistake twice – Breaking Bad
- Do you realize that if you do something really huge in your life, your life as you currently know it will change [probably] forever? – Arie Hoogerbrugge
Want more better questions and reflections?
Better questions and reflections to live by – Part 14