Over the years in truck I got into listening to podcasts. First a few a week and then depending on the day sometimes listening to podcasts 6-7 hours a day. I have probably listen to a few 1000 hours of podcasts by now. During some of those podcast something would be said that would make me go – huh? or huh! And I would make note of it. Before long my list of better questions or reflections started filling up pages and pages. And some of it was pretty profound stuff if I do say so myself.
Mostly what I wrote down pertained to day to day life, there is some business stuff (which is kind of the same thing) and of course a little bit of spiritual sprinkled in. Over the years I also collected a bunch of quotes from some of my favourite movies; so I added a few of those in my collection of wisdom.
If we ask better questions we generally make better decisions. The same happens if we consider such wise words of wisdom from someone who may have a little bit of experience under their belt. Anyways, I plan to post a list every few weeks or so. Like I said I got pages and pages of these nuggets of wisdom.
As a side note; some of these are quotes and at the time of listening I never wrote down the author. But they are pretty good without the authors name. I wouldn’t be surprised if many of these become blog posts of their own someday.
- We didn’t have money so we had to think.
- Listen to the right people.
- Look for things that don’t make sense.
- The more you give the more you live.
- You will not be remembered for what you did but for what I gave.
- People don’t buy “what” you do they buy “why” you do (lead with a story)
- Bridge the gap between you and your audience.
- Is this going to make you more happy or less happy?
- Anxiety is part of self focus.
- You have to be responsive to what your investors are asking/advising.
- Set your expectations low to win the day/reach your goals.
- Two crappy pages of writing a day should be the goal (for writing).
- If you want to be interesting be interested in others.
- Sitting is the new smoking.
- Sell the benefits not the features.
- Fail fast, learn fast, fix fast.
- I would rather die covered in my blood, then an old man lying in my piss – The Man In The Iron Mask
- In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps
- We all do damage. Character is determined how we repair it – Sons of Anarchy
- How you do anything is how you do everything?
- We do not raise the level of our hope we fall to the level of our training
- Embrace the funk.
- The fear of exposure.
- What moves the needle?
- No one owes you anything.
- Run to trouble and good things are going to happen.
- Don’t try to boil the ocean.
- If I do this then what doesn’t get done?
- Houses are the graves of the living.
- The little things are the big things.